Monday, November 14, 2016

Job Interviews-How did it Really Go?

I had a job interview with a health provider in the San Francisco Bay Area last week. I enjoyed the interview and thought it went well. But how do you know what interviewers are really thinking?

I am one of those people who does not read body language very well.  I was not asked the question what is your biggest weakness. Thank goodness. That is such a common and waste of time question. I really respected the interviewers for not going there. One weakness that I do have is not being able to pick up on subtle comments or body language. A subtle negative comment goes right over my head. I think that is part of growing up with the old fashioned belief if you can't say something kind then don't say anything at all.  I don't hear unkindness in subtle jabs and if it happens in a job interview my perception of how the interview played out will not be changed. If you have the ability to laugh at yourself there is some humor in this. The interviewer may be saying, oh my gawd after you leave the room while you do a celebration dance in the lobby. It's good to be able to laugh at yourself.

Job interviewing is similar to having a first date. Often one person on the date thinks it went way better than the other person. I think that happens in job interviews too.

One thing that helps with really not knowing what other people think is the ability to let things go after an interview. It has taken me decades to learn. At this stage of my life, I am able to go to an interview, enjoy the conversation, write the thank you note and let it go. In other words developing the ability to stop thinking about it and accepting whatever the other party decides.

It's good to have this ability. If you are young, I hope you can develop this ability now. I did not have this skill when I was young and spent too much time analyzing how things went and wondering if I would get the job. Get on with life rather than waiting for your phone to ring.  It is much better to do your best in an interview and once that thank you letter is sent, let it go. Let it go and move on to other potential opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These pictures are of my dog Willie over the years. I have not blogged in several years and now I plan to return to it. We don't have an...